Skip to main content

Craft Room Come True!



My Craft Corner, it has more personality
now and much more stuff too!

 left & right sides have fabric,
the middle & drawers, everything else!











Who doesn’t want their own space to create? Ok, maybe only us artsy and crafty people. I remember decades ago when I had all the time in the world and no money for crafts. Then I started working and looking for a husband (LOL) and had no time.  Finally, as life began unfolding, I took advantage of the pregnancies as an excuse to make baby comforters and crib items; but, once the kids came,  you know how that went. It took 3 years to make the cross-stitch for the first baby, 6 years to finish the one for the other baby. It's no wonder since Cross-stitching was my “airplane” craft. 
 
Out of desperation and craft anxiety, I started a “hope” closet of craft supplies in case there was a fleeting chance that, one day, I could perhaps be creative again.  It was quite an undertaking to make something because while the closet was organized, I had to dismount and dismantle plastic containers and rediscover what was in them just to get situated with one project. Then, I had to put everything back so we could eat on the dining room table.  My dreams of creating again were dashed and I promised myself that for a year I wouldn’t buy anything else if I wasn’t able to use it.  And I do that periodically, even now.

When we moved, my only request was that I had a place, a corner, a nook or cranny of my own.  Finally, my creative space was a reality , in the best lit spot in the house.  I spent several months searching online for ideas on Flicker, Easy Closet, Container Store, IKEA, and the magazine WHERE WOMEN CREATE, the Mary Engelbreit edition.
Then, I drew and sketched and inventoried my “hope” closet to make sure everything had a special place.  I had it down to specific dimensions since I was limited to a 10 ft. wall and no one sold what I wanted. We  found a cabinet maker who did it to my specifications (mostly) and with a few tweaks from my husband, it was perfect!  My favorite features (below) are the ribbon cabinet (which has 8 steel bars for small spools and 1 bar on top for large spools) and the overhead light feature with multiple outlet just under the glass cabinets.  
I hope you enjoyed my Craft Corner pics and you feel inspired to make your own.  When I grow up, I hope to graduate to a studio.  By the way, if you really want to see what’s inside the drawers, let me know. : ) 
P.S. Of course, Martha Stewart has a craft room too! Her craft room furniture is available here. Although I saw hers after mine was done, I am not sorry, my space is great. I did, however, add one of her pieces just this week. Happy Creating!      ~Elaine


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July - "All I want for Christmas" Wall Hanging

It's here! The Christmas in July Blog Hop has started and I am stop #3 on the hop, so make sure you see what Amy and The Patchsmith have made so far.     I love a charm pack, it's a tiny sampler of a great fabric collection! I'd like to show you how to make this whimsical door or wall hanging for Christmas, it's an easy pattern to repeat with any Charm Pack.      What you will need besides fabric, sewing machine & thread! 1 Charms Square pack 2 Fat Quarters that coordinate with your charms and applique graphic Backing Fabric Lite Seam to Seam for applique (2-3 sheets) or whatever other fusible product you like Embellishments like buttons, Rick Rack or ribbon (depending on your project) Neutral (white) 2 1/2" strips for borders (4)   The  finished size is about 12" x 36" unless you add more sashing or borders.     The first thing you do is unwrap your charms pack and lay out all the squares. You will i

Friday Night Block Party: Pinwheels

Welcome to the Friday Night Block Party here at Summercrafter.  If  you missed the first one , don't worry there's another one today!  Every Friday I will be featuring a new quilt block and the name or names associated with it and a little history.         Today's featured block is the called the Pinwheel. (It's on the button above!) I love it because it means fun! It makes me think of ...       Ferris wheels     and cartwheels  and wind. The Pinwheel block, was created in the United States around the 1800's. It became a very popular quilt block pattern and continues to be used in a variety of styles. There are so many ways to accent the "blades" with the colors (light/dark) patterns and placement, both within and around a quilt.  And it's really not a difficult block to do, I'll show you three different kinds of pinwheel blocks to try. Look at mine. I was happy go lucky as I pieced all these pinwheel blo

Five Happy Pumpkins!

Welcome to my day of the FALL BLOG HOP hosted by Sheri at Sunshine in the Attic . Below is the schedule of other bloggers in the hop: September 19th  Sheri --  Sunshine in the Attic  September 20th Maggie --  Maggie's Empty Nest Days September 21st Susie --  Susie's Sun Room September 22nd Celine  -- Espritpatch   September 23rd  Yevette --  Evindie September 24th Judy --  Judy's Fabric Addiction  September 25th  Elaine -- Summercrafter   September 26th Patricia --  Quilting Lines Do pop over check out what they made, as for me? I have a  fixation with the Five Little Pumpkins Song.  It's been part of my teaching repertoire for many, many years.  So here is my latest rendition I am calling it Five Happy Pumpkins. It's really easy to do, it does involve some applique but it's as easy as "cut and paste!"   Updates in yellow! These squares started out at 3 inches. Draw a diagonal across from co