Skip to main content

Summer Quilting Plans

Summer is just around the corner and I have been planning several mid and large scale quilts to do in the next three months, YAY!!  First, I have two pending table toppers/runners that are themed for Hanukkah and Christmas respectively, from these fabrics and a charm pack. 
 

 
 

 I also am going to start my first twin quilt for my daughter who's ten years old.


She preferred these Holly Holderman Dolly Dresses 2 and 3 (?) over a more "big girl" feel I thought the Vintage Modern 2012 BOM would offer.

2012 Designer Mystery Block of the Month<SMALL><SUP>TM</SUP></SMALL> Block of the Month Program
 
I better finish this one fast then, before she no longer likes these dresses!
 
 
Check out Debbie's Dolly Dresses Quilt here. I can't wait to design my own! I'm going to use some 1930s prints and who knows what else I may throw in the mix, stay tuned!

 
 
I am also trying to figure out how many HashTag blocks I would need for a king quilt from this great Craftsy Class  by Camillie Roskelley called Pre-Cuts Made Simple. Every fabric collection the students have used with this pattern looks great, it's so fun and easy! Really, it is! 
 
It just dawned on me, however, that my Audrey is too little for quilting such big jobs!!  BUMMER!!
 
 
 I mean sure, all the little table toppers
 
 
  and runners and other small scale projects
 
  
have been super easy to quilt.
 
 
 The baby quilts have been somewhat of a challenge,
 
 
but I am afraid that with such a shallow "throat" space, (scroll up to Audrey's picture) 
 
 
there is no way I will be able,
 
 
even meandering,
 
 
 
 to quilt such large scale quilts on this small machine. (Only because they wouldn't fit, not because she can't do the job!) Buying another machine is not an option either.  The closest professional quilter I have heard of, near these parts, is 2 hours away!! 
  
I'll have to research that a little more...

The good news is I am nowhere near the stage of quilting any of these since I am just going to start the blocks next month. Still, it's something to think about for the future since I have been bit by the Quilting Bug.
 
On another note, I have been going overboard browsing the Happy Go Lucky fabric at Fatquartershop.com that has just become available by the yard.  These are four of my favorites.
 
       
 
 Of course, I am wanting to purchase more than I should, even though I got a gift card. Realistically, these projects will most likely be miniature kitchen or tabletop versions so honestly, I really won't need so much extra fabric for backing or backgrounds.  But...
 
 


Maybe I could just make many small things. No?


 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July - "All I want for Christmas" Wall Hanging

It's here! The Christmas in July Blog Hop has started and I am stop #3 on the hop, so make sure you see what Amy and The Patchsmith have made so far.     I love a charm pack, it's a tiny sampler of a great fabric collection! I'd like to show you how to make this whimsical door or wall hanging for Christmas, it's an easy pattern to repeat with any Charm Pack.      What you will need besides fabric, sewing machine & thread! 1 Charms Square pack 2 Fat Quarters that coordinate with your charms and applique graphic Backing Fabric Lite Seam to Seam for applique (2-3 sheets) or whatever other fusible product you like Embellishments like buttons, Rick Rack or ribbon (depending on your project) Neutral (white) 2 1/2" strips for borders (4)   The  finished size is about 12" x 36" unless you add more sashing or borders.     The first thing you do is unwrap your charms pack and lay out all the squares. You will i

Friday Night Block Party: Pinwheels

Welcome to the Friday Night Block Party here at Summercrafter.  If  you missed the first one , don't worry there's another one today!  Every Friday I will be featuring a new quilt block and the name or names associated with it and a little history.         Today's featured block is the called the Pinwheel. (It's on the button above!) I love it because it means fun! It makes me think of ...       Ferris wheels     and cartwheels  and wind. The Pinwheel block, was created in the United States around the 1800's. It became a very popular quilt block pattern and continues to be used in a variety of styles. There are so many ways to accent the "blades" with the colors (light/dark) patterns and placement, both within and around a quilt.  And it's really not a difficult block to do, I'll show you three different kinds of pinwheel blocks to try. Look at mine. I was happy go lucky as I pieced all these pinwheel blo

Five Happy Pumpkins!

Welcome to my day of the FALL BLOG HOP hosted by Sheri at Sunshine in the Attic . Below is the schedule of other bloggers in the hop: September 19th  Sheri --  Sunshine in the Attic  September 20th Maggie --  Maggie's Empty Nest Days September 21st Susie --  Susie's Sun Room September 22nd Celine  -- Espritpatch   September 23rd  Yevette --  Evindie September 24th Judy --  Judy's Fabric Addiction  September 25th  Elaine -- Summercrafter   September 26th Patricia --  Quilting Lines Do pop over check out what they made, as for me? I have a  fixation with the Five Little Pumpkins Song.  It's been part of my teaching repertoire for many, many years.  So here is my latest rendition I am calling it Five Happy Pumpkins. It's really easy to do, it does involve some applique but it's as easy as "cut and paste!"   Updates in yellow! These squares started out at 3 inches. Draw a diagonal across from co