Skip to main content

Jane or Jill of many Crafts

A Jack of all Trades is a person who can do passable work at various tasks : a handy versatile person. It sounds great but generally these people are seen as wishy-washy, unfocused and unexperts in all they can do because they don't have a title that states their area of expertise in a concrete way.

I think it's a great asset to dabble in a little bit of this and a little bit of that, right? In school, we expect students to achieve satisfactory, if not exceptional success, in all subject areas don't we? When our own children bring home a C or worse we say "we don't accept C's in this house, only A's and B's."  So what is the message exactly?


a little watercolor painting

I, being a middle child, have always believed that the more you know or learn, the better it is. I don't know if this is innate or a coping mechanism of middle children or  if it's something I learned from my father. [He knows how to do everything except open heart surgery (he gets queasy) and fly a plane (he can figure that out, it's mechanical.]


Fresh Ideas!

I think everyone should know how to read music, just in case you ever have to. Reading nautical flags might come in handy at some point. Sign language is convenient you can speak with the hard of hearing or in case you ever lose your voice or want to sing silently. Sewing is totally underrated because people have to wear clothes. Next, I want to learn how to manufacture fabric starting from the cotton fields! And everyone has to know how to swim!


Innovative Crafts

So the question I ask is, what happens when you have the ability to do something but you do not find fulfillment in it?  What do we do when our "formally trained" skills pay the bills but steal our joy?  Where do we go to fuel our dreams and desires or attain satisfaction, when the duties and obligations born from our schooling deplete us of energy to take pleasure in the finer things?


Multi-media Art
How do we prove ourselves in the area of our talent when we weren't encouraged to pursue it in a formal way?  Can we find an opportunity to show "we have what it takes" if we don't have a paper that says so?  Is the only skill that matters the one supported by the old English writing on a diploma?
 

Photography
 

In many scenarios, yes. We must show a diploma, have a resume or certificate that verifies our skills, talents, abilities and such.  The upside is, even while in the rut, the journey of life reveals to us what we are called to do; our purpose should bring us joy not misery.

Quilting

At the very least, there will be a fork in the road where we must choose and can choose the road we have traveled less. We might have come across it several times during our lives yet, we have always chosen the practical, secure, predictable and most traveled way.  This road however, sometimes leads us towards the slow demise of our hopes and dreams. It lead us away from what we like, what brings us happiness and the thing that innately we have been gifted with.  Really, read 1 Timothy 4:14. I am not talking about circumstancial happiness, or endless bliss; just the "in your heart" gratification that comes when we do something well and easily, and no one has to even see what we did.

Making my own pattern

So as I ponder this whole notion, I wonder about the abilities that you and I possess.  Be they great or small, if we truly are uplifted by the simple act of exercising them, we should not be afraid to do so.  Therefore, now at the mid-life point, (if I live to be 90) I put my foot down and am taking the road less traveled that leads me to artful bliss!  I am forging my own way, documenting that which does not appear on any fancy piece of paper! Doing what comes easily, brings me joy, reduces stress, uplifts my heart and feeds my soul in a more intentional way.  And thanks for being witnesses to it on this here blog.



Now, if I could only find the map for the rest of the journey.....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July - "All I want for Christmas" Wall Hanging

It's here! The Christmas in July Blog Hop has started and I am stop #3 on the hop, so make sure you see what Amy and The Patchsmith have made so far.     I love a charm pack, it's a tiny sampler of a great fabric collection! I'd like to show you how to make this whimsical door or wall hanging for Christmas, it's an easy pattern to repeat with any Charm Pack.      What you will need besides fabric, sewing machine & thread! 1 Charms Square pack 2 Fat Quarters that coordinate with your charms and applique graphic Backing Fabric Lite Seam to Seam for applique (2-3 sheets) or whatever other fusible product you like Embellishments like buttons, Rick Rack or ribbon (depending on your project) Neutral (white) 2 1/2" strips for borders (4)   The  finished size is about 12" x 36" unless you add more sashing or borders.     The first thing you do is unwrap your charms pack and lay out all the squares. You will i

Friday Night Block Party: Pinwheels

Welcome to the Friday Night Block Party here at Summercrafter.  If  you missed the first one , don't worry there's another one today!  Every Friday I will be featuring a new quilt block and the name or names associated with it and a little history.         Today's featured block is the called the Pinwheel. (It's on the button above!) I love it because it means fun! It makes me think of ...       Ferris wheels     and cartwheels  and wind. The Pinwheel block, was created in the United States around the 1800's. It became a very popular quilt block pattern and continues to be used in a variety of styles. There are so many ways to accent the "blades" with the colors (light/dark) patterns and placement, both within and around a quilt.  And it's really not a difficult block to do, I'll show you three different kinds of pinwheel blocks to try. Look at mine. I was happy go lucky as I pieced all these pinwheel blo

Five Happy Pumpkins!

Welcome to my day of the FALL BLOG HOP hosted by Sheri at Sunshine in the Attic . Below is the schedule of other bloggers in the hop: September 19th  Sheri --  Sunshine in the Attic  September 20th Maggie --  Maggie's Empty Nest Days September 21st Susie --  Susie's Sun Room September 22nd Celine  -- Espritpatch   September 23rd  Yevette --  Evindie September 24th Judy --  Judy's Fabric Addiction  September 25th  Elaine -- Summercrafter   September 26th Patricia --  Quilting Lines Do pop over check out what they made, as for me? I have a  fixation with the Five Little Pumpkins Song.  It's been part of my teaching repertoire for many, many years.  So here is my latest rendition I am calling it Five Happy Pumpkins. It's really easy to do, it does involve some applique but it's as easy as "cut and paste!"   Updates in yellow! These squares started out at 3 inches. Draw a diagonal across from co