Skip to main content

Christmas in July - "All I want for Christmas" Wall Hanging

It's here! The Christmas in July Blog Hop has started and I am stop #3 on the hop, so make sure you see what Amy and The Patchsmith have made so far.

Christmas in July button 2a copy

 
 
I love a charm pack, it's a tiny sampler of a great fabric collection! I'd like to show you how to make this whimsical door or wall hanging for Christmas,


it's an easy pattern to repeat with any Charm Pack.
 
  
What you will need besides fabric, sewing machine & thread!
1 Charms Square pack
2 Fat Quarters that coordinate with your charms and applique graphic
Backing Fabric
Lite Seam to Seam for applique (2-3 sheets) or whatever other fusible product you like
Embellishments like buttons, Rick Rack or ribbon (depending on your project)
Neutral (white) 2 1/2" strips for borders (4)

 
The  finished size is about 12" x 36" unless you add more sashing or borders.
 
 
The first thing you do is unwrap your charms pack and lay out all the squares. You will immediately notice that there is a pattern, a repetition of colors or designs throughout the collection. So now you get to play with the squares. (Before learning, there is always play time!)
 
 
 
Sort by pattern (above)
Or by color (below)
 
 
Sort the squares by similar pattern or color families until you have four squares that work well together, arrange them in a box that will be your block. Do this until you have 3 three different blocks. You may also want to separate a few squares for the text if you will be adding words to your banner.
 
Usually, as in the Halloween banner, a full charm pack, usually has four or more to a pattern as shown below.
 
 
The charm pack I chose for this project, Santa's Workshop by Riley Blake, did not follow that rule : /
 
 
But I figured out how to make it work because  I really like this collection, it's fun!
 
So I have played with my squares until my brain says "that's it." Usually that happens after several attempts at combining patterns and colors. You may decide to leave reds out because that will be a good color for the letters to pop or decide to leave the whites out because your applique will have white and blend in. Play until you are ready, you have time before Christmas!

 
Careful how you sew them together, if you'll notice above I goofed on the direction of the stripes.
I had to pick that out and re-do after it was sewn.
 
 
Here I tried to make sure the toys or most of it was right side up (the boy and the elf.)

 
Once you know how you want it, go ahead and sew the squares together to make your blocks. I did left/right squares together first, then sewed the top and bottom together.
 
 
I saved the red charms to cut into 2 1/2 inch squares to use as mini blocks on the corners of the white borders.
 
 
I like to lay it all out to see how it's going to look, make any last minute changes.

 
Instead of sub-cutting all the strips,
 
 
you could also sew each block (the tops and bottoms) onto a whole strip.
 
 
There was some discrepancy with mine, this would have saved me some grief! The BLOCKS should be 9 1/2 inches (updated) square before you add borders. But always measure as with some pre-cuts it's not exactly what we would assume!
 
 
Don't forget to trim and even out edges if necessary!
 
 

 Once the "in-between" strips are sewn on, cut your remaining strips to equal 6 strips measuring 9 1/2 by 2 1/2.  Please measure your blocks just to be sure! Measure twice, cut once!! You are going to sew your squares to each end of the white strips. Start with a square and sew to a strip, alternating the order until you use 4 squares and three strips (2 sets)


 
Attach to your blocks.
 
 
My middle block has images of toys, I have selected two of those images (bear and ball) to applique on each of the top and bottom blocks.


I decided just to accent the middle with Rick Rack so you can still see the images. You can also just add another image to the center if you prefer.

 
I forgot to add the Rick Rack before joining the blocks
 
 
so I just made room inside the seams, no problem!

 

You can use a printer to enlarge the image you want and trace it onto the fusible paper as directions state on the reverse. Choose your FQ that matches your image or graphic.
 
I have decided to put the bear on the bottom because the color is very dark and appears "heavy" and put a ball/circle shape on the top block. (I used an embroidery hoop to get the right size.) Remember you want the applique to be a good size but you still want to be able to see the patterns in the blocks (after all that work!) I think 1-2 inches margin around is good.
 
 
 
Follow fusible directions for the appliqued image.
 

 
I used a short zig zag to go around my applique.
 
 
 
When quilting, because of the applique I could not "stipple" over the applique images
 
 
so I just accent quilted them by hand and used 6 strand of floss (I like that thickness over the buttons) and tied them on the back. I did this once all the quilting was done.
 
 
You can see the stippling below.
 
 
 
Ready for the binding!




I usually get backing fabric to match the front, I prefer something from that same collection but I have so much Christmas fabric that I used something I already had for the back and binding.
 
 



 

 
 


  
 
This project also serves the Christmas Once a Month "along" also courtesy of Julie from The Crafty Quilter. Join us!
 
 Christmas Once a Month at The Crafty Quilter
 
Julie's got all the giveaways for the end of the week, keep up with the hop!
 

 
 
 
 

 

Comments

  1. Terrific tutorial and fun door hanging. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your tutorial to the fun door banner. I have shared it on Rikstäcket, the Swedish National Guild website.
    Have a terrific summer
    Summer greetings from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I was not officially a teacher, I did all my ed requirements in college and got my teaching certificate, I went on to get a master's in education, and was working on a doc in gifted ed. I was a computer programmer. I come from a long line of educators. My daughter is a math teacher now. So, I know how precious summers are. My mom was also a math and Latin teacher so she always had fun projects to keep our brains whirring in the summer. She actually taught me to sew. I love this project. It is adorable and will be a great Christmas decoration. Thank you for joining Julie's team to make this July a memorable Christmas experience. Many, many thanks. You have to be a wonderful teacher with this excellent tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a jolly banner! Thanks for the detailed tutorial, and nice to see how we all make silly little mistakes sometimes :-). Enjoy your summer and hope you have time to make lots of fun projects! Greetings from Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I simply love this banner and my grandchildren will love it also. They love coming to grandma's house at Christmas because I have decorations everywhere they say and if you don't mind I would love to make this one. Thank yo so much for making me an extras special grandma in their eyes. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this adorable Christmas wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute wall hanging, an easy tutorial. A great gift giving project to make on short notice. I so love Christmas and Christmas quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! Cute idea and very good for beginners.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for a fun and festive lesson for a wallhanging! I love that ricrac block so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much. What a festive wall hanging. I liked your instructions for charm pack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of the details you added to your banner! The ric rak, the buttons and the hand stitching really add a nice touch. Thank you for a great tutorial, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked how you "play" with the fabric choices first. I am a veteran teacher (38yrs in classroom), and I too enjoy being laid off for 2 months to recharge by crafting. We don't have August off; wish I taught where you do!! Thanks for tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, like that, you make it look so easy.

    (smjohns63 at yahoo dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute project. Love your fabrics you used.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great looking wall hanging. I love all the extras you've added to this. Thank you for such detailed instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it.It`s pretty nice.Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tutorial and cute hanging. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the tutorial. I am a retired teacher, but continue to substitute.
    I still look forward to the summer and feel that I need to buy a new box of crayons for the coming school year. I love the smell of new crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute little hanging! I love the fact that you are just like me-sometimes things just don't come together just right......and you fix it!! Thank you for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice and how welcoming to be greeted by this lovely door quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just what I needed - a project to use the Moda winter's Lane charm squares I bought in Oregon last week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a great use of a charm pack and a beautiful wall hanging! Thanks for the tut, too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute wall hanging.I have a charm pack must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. very cute wall hanging....love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Everyone enjoys a fitting reply; it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time! Proverbs 15:23. I"m all ears!

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Night Block Party: Pinwheels

Welcome to the Friday Night Block Party here at Summercrafter.  If  you missed the first one , don't worry there's another one today!  Every Friday I will be featuring a new quilt block and the name or names associated with it and a little history.         Today's featured block is the called the Pinwheel. (It's on the button above!) I love it because it means fun! It makes me think of ...       Ferris wheels     and cartwheels  and wind. The Pinwheel block, was created in the United States around the 1800's. It became a very popular quilt block pattern and continues to be used in a variety of styles. There are so many ways to accent the "blades" with the colors (light/dark) patterns and placement, both within and around a quilt.  And it's really not a difficult block to do, I'll show you three different kinds of pinwheel blocks to try. Look at mine. I was happy go lucky as I pieced all these pinwheel blo

Five Happy Pumpkins!

Welcome to my day of the FALL BLOG HOP hosted by Sheri at Sunshine in the Attic . Below is the schedule of other bloggers in the hop: September 19th  Sheri --  Sunshine in the Attic  September 20th Maggie --  Maggie's Empty Nest Days September 21st Susie --  Susie's Sun Room September 22nd Celine  -- Espritpatch   September 23rd  Yevette --  Evindie September 24th Judy --  Judy's Fabric Addiction  September 25th  Elaine -- Summercrafter   September 26th Patricia --  Quilting Lines Do pop over check out what they made, as for me? I have a  fixation with the Five Little Pumpkins Song.  It's been part of my teaching repertoire for many, many years.  So here is my latest rendition I am calling it Five Happy Pumpkins. It's really easy to do, it does involve some applique but it's as easy as "cut and paste!"   Updates in yellow! These squares started out at 3 inches. Draw a diagonal across from co