Skip to main content

Running with the idea

RUNNERS.  And I am not talking athletes.  I mean Table Runners.  I always wonder if they should run off the table, go to the end of the table or stop just shy of the end of the table.  They are available in various designs: plain, or fancy, with tassels, lace, quilted and/or bound. They also come in various sizes and widths, see here. I started researching runners because I wanted a festive one for my dining room table that is extra long now, thanks to the 2 leaves that stay attached the whole year. 

My mom gave me this really pretty ceramic house to put tea lights in for Christmas. It’s has trees and snowmen standing outside, it was last year’s “HOUSE FOR SALE” at Bath and Body Works. (The previous year, they had a Gingerbread House and I missed it!)  The house looks great on the dining room table but it didn’t “show” enough. It needed to sit on a runner.
While my dining room is formal, I always like a little whimsy in my décor. Elegant is nice, I appreciate it, but it’s not me.  I like red and green and Santa and happiness, joy and a little fun.   Since I couldn’t find the look I wanted, I decided to make a runner myself and incorporate my newly acquired quilting skills.  The next question is what size should it be?  I didn’t want it to hang over because you don’t really see it fully, especially if there are chairs at the table.  And if I quilted it, it would have binding around it. So I decided it would be about 6 inches shy of the table ends on each side. 

Since I wanted the house to sit in the middle, I thought a “brick” looking base would be nice. I found the fabric at Joann fabrics online.  I selected scroll design in each red and green with gold accent to make the checkerboard pattern for the center block of the runner.  On either side of that block, I used a red base with Christmas trees, also with gold accent and had the trees run in opposite directions on either side. I liked the designs because while they were a little “fancy” with the gold, the patterns still had a little “whimsy.”



For the center checkerboard block, I quilted in criss-cross design and I quilted a stippling (squiggly stitches) pattern throughout and around the trees and left the sashing and borders plain. While I worked on it practically until the guests arrived on Christmas Eve 2010, I had to finally give up and put it down due to frustration.  It did, however, become one of my summer crafts this year, I finished it in July. 

Here is the finished product with house and everything!




Comments

  1. I loved the runner! The sleigh looks totally awesome also! Well....I LOVE EVERYTHING ON THIS PAGE!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great looking forward to seeing more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you liked it. I take it you enjoy quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Everyone enjoys a fitting reply; it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time! Proverbs 15:23. I"m all ears!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July - "All I want for Christmas" Wall Hanging

It's here! The Christmas in July Blog Hop has started and I am stop #3 on the hop, so make sure you see what Amy and The Patchsmith have made so far.     I love a charm pack, it's a tiny sampler of a great fabric collection! I'd like to show you how to make this whimsical door or wall hanging for Christmas, it's an easy pattern to repeat with any Charm Pack.      What you will need besides fabric, sewing machine & thread! 1 Charms Square pack 2 Fat Quarters that coordinate with your charms and applique graphic Backing Fabric Lite Seam to Seam for applique (2-3 sheets) or whatever other fusible product you like Embellishments like buttons, Rick Rack or ribbon (depending on your project) Neutral (white) 2 1/2" strips for borders (4)   The  finished size is about 12" x 36" unless you add more sashing or borders.     The first thing you do is unwrap your charms pack and lay out all the squares. You will i

Friday Night Block Party: Pinwheels

Welcome to the Friday Night Block Party here at Summercrafter.  If  you missed the first one , don't worry there's another one today!  Every Friday I will be featuring a new quilt block and the name or names associated with it and a little history.         Today's featured block is the called the Pinwheel. (It's on the button above!) I love it because it means fun! It makes me think of ...       Ferris wheels     and cartwheels  and wind. The Pinwheel block, was created in the United States around the 1800's. It became a very popular quilt block pattern and continues to be used in a variety of styles. There are so many ways to accent the "blades" with the colors (light/dark) patterns and placement, both within and around a quilt.  And it's really not a difficult block to do, I'll show you three different kinds of pinwheel blocks to try. Look at mine. I was happy go lucky as I pieced all these pinwheel blo

Five Happy Pumpkins!

Welcome to my day of the FALL BLOG HOP hosted by Sheri at Sunshine in the Attic . Below is the schedule of other bloggers in the hop: September 19th  Sheri --  Sunshine in the Attic  September 20th Maggie --  Maggie's Empty Nest Days September 21st Susie --  Susie's Sun Room September 22nd Celine  -- Espritpatch   September 23rd  Yevette --  Evindie September 24th Judy --  Judy's Fabric Addiction  September 25th  Elaine -- Summercrafter   September 26th Patricia --  Quilting Lines Do pop over check out what they made, as for me? I have a  fixation with the Five Little Pumpkins Song.  It's been part of my teaching repertoire for many, many years.  So here is my latest rendition I am calling it Five Happy Pumpkins. It's really easy to do, it does involve some applique but it's as easy as "cut and paste!"   Updates in yellow! These squares started out at 3 inches. Draw a diagonal across from co